CHANGES IN VERSION 1.5
- Now detects the hidden $Windows.~WS folder associated with the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, in addition to the more common $Windows.~BT folder that was already detected in previous versions.
- New Delete Windows 10 Download Folders feature now deletes both detected hidden download folders, preventing users from having to run scripts or manually override file security and ownership settings.
- Program now only requests administrator privileges when they're actually required, and only once per session, instead of always asking for permissions at program startup. Note: This is a hard feature to test because of the thousands of user security/permissions possibilities out in the wild; please let me know if you experience unexpected behavior when attempting to perform operations.
- New /norestart command line switch to assist support staff who operate GWX Control Panel via remote assistance tools. (More info at the announcement page.)
- Clear Windows Update Cache feature now displays a list of temporary effects that clearing the cache will have on Windows Update and gives you a chance to cancel before proceeding. (It is safe to clear your update cache, but some users might prefer to avoid the one-time changes that doing so incurs.)
- Decoupled download folder size checking from rest of the informational stats to speed up the first screen refresh with current status. You now always get information as soon as it's available.
- Removed the Close 'Get Windows 10' App button because it confused some users and was somewhat redundant, since the Disable/Enable 'Get Windows 10' App feature implicitly exits or launches the GWX app as needed.
DOWNLOADS AND DOCUMENTATIONYou can always download the latest version of GWX Control Panel from the Ultimate Outsider downloads page. For the complete user guide and troubleshooting tips, see the original GWX Control Panel announcement.
CONTACTING THE AUTHORBecause of the fickle and heterogeneous nature of Windows, it's impossible for me to test every possible user configuration or use case. If you have problems that don't sync up with your expectations or with the user documentation, please let me know. User feedback has been important in helping me decide where to focus for future updates. There are three easy ways to get in touch with me:
- Leave a comment here on the blog.
- Visit the Ultimate Outsider page on facebook and use the Message feature to send me a private message.
- If you ever decide to send a PayPal donation (link on sidebar), you can use the "add special instructions to recipient" field to include a personal note. I read and respond to all of those.